Most people know about CD Baby and Tunecore but there are a myriad of other companies that provide digital distribution services aimed at musicians and the entertainment industry.
In this presentation, we compare 3 independent digital distribution companies with CD Baby and Tunecore simply to make you more aware of the available options.
Platforms like CD Baby are well established and have huge user bases but that does not necessarily make them the best solution for distributing your music.
It is important to look at each service. Many distributors are now offering publishing administration services and are able to collect money from YouTube as well as publishing royalties from local and foreign territories…but what are the terms? What happens to your copyrights? How much do you collect? How much do you give away?
There are a lot of things to consider when choosing a distributor as well as someone to handle your publishing.
It’s important to remember, you can use one service for distribution and find someone more specialized who can work with you one-on-one to handle your publishing.
Publishing and publishing admin includes everything from registering your copyrights, to registering your songs with PROs, to pitching your music for licensing opportunities in tv, film, or video games.
If companies like CD Baby are offering publishing services to the millions of artists who use their service (for extra fees, of course), are they really able to provide you with the level of service you deserve from a music publisher?
The decision is up to you but allow us to present the information so you can marinate on it.
Sidenote: An artist recently approached us to handle publishing for their last album but we are not able to touch any of the songs on said album….why?! Because they paid CD Baby to handle the publishing…
Transcript (from slides)
- 1. digital distribution services for indie musicians with price comparisons www.MiddleTennesseeMusic.com @midtnmusic
- 2. what should i look for? how much do you have to spend upfront? how much will you make in return? do they offer publishing admin services? do they collect publishing? what territories? what happens to your copyrights? do they collect youtube money? do they market or promote your releases? do they provide additional (beneficial) services? UPC codes are necessary if you want to report sales to soundscan bar codes and isrc codes are necessary… do you have to pay for them?… or are they provided?
- 3. 101 distribution independent company keep 100% payouts keep 100% copyright must apply from 101d’s website: “101 makes it possible for musicians and filmmakers to easily self-publish their project everywhere. Distribute and manage the DIGITAL, MOBILE, MAIL ORDER, MERCHANDISE, STREAMING, and RETAIL sales for your entire catalog. We’re currently accepting applications from well- qualified artists.” based in Phoenix, AZ www.101d.com
- 4. Unlimited sounds publishing and distribution, llc independent company digital distro publishing admin no upfront costs UPC and ISRC provided you collect 85% make money on youtube sell from UL’s website marketing, promotion, and PR included pitching to licensing opps for tv/film/games www.ULSounds.com based in Sacramento, CA
- 5. catapult distribution $25 per album $9 per single no monthly or yearly fees you collect 91% of profits independent company Other services: UPC REgistration, Barcode creation, Soundscan registration, itunes digital booklets based in Dallas, TX www.catapultdistribution.com
- 6. CD Baby CD Baby offers 3 solutions CD Baby Free CD Baby Standard CD Baby PRO prepay for multiple standard releases and save up to 35% UPC Barcodes = $20 per album, $5 per single
- 7. sell downloads on CD Baby (ONLY) Sell music on FB Sell music on website (using CD Baby’s tools) no upfront costs, you collect 85% of sales CD Baby $14.95 per single / $59 per album digital distro physical distro sell on CD Baby sell on FB make money on Youtube sync licenses for tv, film, games you collect 91% of sales $34.95 per single / $89 per album digital distro physical distro sell on CD Baby & FB make money on Youtube sync licenses for tv, film, games you collect 91% of sales publishing admin services Free standard pro
- 8. 29.99 per album first year 49.99 per album each following year 9.99 per single per year 19.99 per ringtone per year You collect 100% of revenue keep 100% of rights $75 music publishing administration services tunecore
- 9. Ingrooves – http://www.ingrooves.com/ ditto music – http://www.dittomusic.com/ symphonic dist. – http://symphonicdistribution.com/ redeye – http://www.redeyeusa.com/ More Services
- 10. for more info as well as tips and guides related to digital marketing and online music promotion visit www.midtnmusic.com